What is the Substance Abuse Prevention & Treatment Agency and what does your agency do?
The Substance Abuse Prevention & Treatment Agency (SAPTA or Agency) is the designated Single State Agency for the purpose of applying for and expending the federal Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment (SAPT) Block Grant issued through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).  However, the Agency does not provide direct substance abuse prevention or treatment services.  The Agency plans, coordinates and funds statewide substance abuse service delivery and provides technical assistance to programs and other state agencies to ensure that resources are used in the most effective and efficient manner.
Where does SAPTA get money for services?
SAPTA has a variety of funding sources with requirements and restrictions monitored by the Agency. The funding sources include:
  • SAMHSA's SAPT Block Grant
  • Nevada State General Funds and Nevada State Liquor Tax. Information about SAPTA may be located: http://mhds.state.nv.us/
What does SEW stand for?
SEW stands for the State Epidemiologic Workgroup and is required for Nevada to receive federal dollars.
What does a Model Prevention Program, Selective Prevention Program or Indicated Prevention Program mean?
For more information regarding this topic, please refer to http://captus.samhsa.gov/
What type of treatment does SAPTA provide?
SAPTA does not provide direct services. Information on various types of services provided through SAPTA-funded programs may be obtained by either contacting the Agency or by using the link to the left titled programs.
How much does treatment cost?
Substance abuse treatment programs funded by the Agency are required to apply a sliding-fee scale fee adjustment for all clients receiving substance abuse services. The Agency's policy mirrors the intent of the SAPT Block Grant denying no one treatment, regardless of their ability to pay. Each funded provider's sliding-fee scale must comply with SAPTA's Sliding-Fee Scale guidelines found in SAPTA's Administrative Manual. The manual can be found on the link to the left titled publications.
I am not working and have no insurance coverage; can I still get help from your treatment programs?
Yes. Any program that receives funding from SAPTA is required to provide services regardless of ability to pay issues.
My daughter needs treatment and won't go - can I have her admitted involuntarily?
It is very difficult, without criminal justice interventions, to have underage citizens placed in treatment involuntarily. There are no "bars on the windows" of the SAPTA funded treatment programs. The trained professionals at SAPTA funded treatment programs that work with youth and adolescents are excellent resources for developing family interventions that convey important boundaries and at the same time support and love for the child. Please contact those programs that work with adolescents found on the link to the left under programs.
Where do I go if I have no insurance coverage and need detoxification, but I have other illnesses?
It is very important that your physician be included in the decision to enter treatment. If you do not have an attending physician, the professional staff at the detoxification program will require that you go to the emergency room at the county hospital to obtain medical clearance. You can locate certified and funded programs at the Agency's website on the left under programs.
Where do I go if the funded detoxification facility is full?
An individual that requires immediate medical attention should go to the nearest emergency room and/or contact their physician. Because need far exceeds bed capacity for non-profit detoxification services, there may be a time when one might have to wait for a detoxification bed. The Agency encourages the individual to follow the instructions of the professional staff at the detoxification program. You can go to the link at the left under programs to find those programs that are certified and or funded by SAPTA.
Where can I get detoxification for a methadone addiction?
All SAPTA certified and funded programs can be found on the Agency's website on the link at the left under programs.
How do I get help for someone who has drug and mental health issues?
The Agency has made it a funding priority to ensure those individuals receiving substance abuse treatment have mental health services available to them. You can locate certified and funded programs at the Agency's website on the link to the left under programs. Those individuals that require predominately mental health services are encouraged to go to the Division of Mental Health and Developmental Services website at http://mhds.state.nv.us
Do I need to be Certified/Licensed as a Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist in the State of Nevada?
Nevada does not require licensure or certification to provide prevention services.
Where do I go to get my license as a counselor for Alcohol and Other Drugs?
Contact the State Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug & Gambling Counselors at 775-684-7081 or go to http://alcohol.state.nv.us
What classes can I take for obtaining a license as a counselor for drug/alcohol?
You may contact the Center for the Application of Substance Abuse Technologies (CASAT), UNR at 775-784-4707 (www.casat.unr.edu) or the State Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug & Gambling Counselors at 775-684-7081 (http://alcohol.state.nv.us/).
I run a treatment facility and need to know what certification/licensing requirements exist for my staff dealing with clients? Where do I get a license and certification to run a methadone clinic? Where do I get a license and certification to run a treatment center?
Nevada requires facilities providing substance abuse treatment to be in compliance with all state, local and federal laws governing the type of facility you operate. The laws that govern program certification can be found in SAPTA's Administrative manual at Appendix C-10a. The laws that govern counselor licensure or certification can be found at the State Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug & Gambling Counselors website at http://alcohol.state.nv.us/. The laws that govern licensure of alcohol and drug facilities can be found at the Bureau of Licensure and Certification's (BLC) website at http://health.nv.gov.
What are Nevada's Drug Free Work Place statutes?
Information regarding the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 can be found on the Department of Labor's website at http://www.dol.gov/.
Where do I send my employees to get drug tested?
Although Nevada doesn't legislate how the private sector develops and implements employee drug testing policy, BLC regulates drug laboratories. You can contact BLC by calling (775) 684-5900.
I want to drug test my 17 year old, where can I take him?
Adults can purchase home drug testing kits at most pharmacies that are relatively inexpensive. Parents can take their child to their doctor or emergency room and/or contact BLC for a list of approved laboratories at (775) 684-5900.
Where do I get a license to sell alcohol?
Each county controls application for licensure to sell alcohol. Each county has its own webpage found at http://nv.gov/government/county-city.
Where do I file a complaint about a doctor or pharmacist?
If you have a complaint regarding a physician you can go to http://medboard.nv.gov/Forms/Complaint.pdf or by calling toll free at (888)890-8210. If you have a complaint regarding a pharmacist you can go to http://bop.nv.gov/Services/complaint/ or by calling toll free at (800)364-2081.
I need resource materials for a health fair the school is hosting. Who can I call?
For materials, you can contact the Nevada Prevention Resource Center at 775-784-6336 (http://nevadaprc.org/).
I have a DUI from another state and have unfinished requirements to reinstate my license. What should I do?
The best way to ascertain information specific to your particular needs is to contact Nevada DMV at 775-684-4368 option 6, or go to http://www.dmvnv.com/dlschoolsdui.htm.
Where can I get a Technical Assistance Management (TAM) card?
To protect the public and employees, many private establishments encourage or require employees to obtain a TAM card.
Additional information can be found at http://www.tamnevada.com or you can call 702-369-0399.
How can I find a treatment facility in another state?
SAMHSA has a website anyone can use to locate facilities throughout the United States. The website is http://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/.
Who do I talk to about opening a halfway house?
BLC has the authority over licensure of halfway houses in Nevada. Please call (775) 684-5900 for additional information.
How do I file a complaint against a treatment facility or counselor?
Depending upon the type of complaint, most often they are accepted by telephone, mail, e-mail, or in person. For program service complaints call SAPTA at (775) 684-4190. For counselor complaints go to the State Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug & Gambling Counselors website at http://alcohol.state.nv.us/ or call (775) 884-8922. For facility complaints contact BLC at (775) 684-5900.

SAPTA Quick Contact

Phone: 775-684-4190
Fax: 775-684-4185
Phone: 702-486-8250
Fax: 702-486-8253